External Sources of Funding
OSP subscribes to Grant Forward.
This service is available to members of the Emory research community. Feel free to search for grant and fellowship opportunities here.
OSP has also developed resources that are provided using the button's below to provide the Emory research community with convenient access to frequently used National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant-related information and resources.
OSP has also developed resources that are provided using the button's below to provide the Emory research community with convenient access to frequently used National Science Foundation (NSF) grant-related information and resources.
NIH Funding Information
- NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts
The NIH publishes all requests for applications (RFAs), program announcements (PAs), and policy changes in this weekly newsletter. This site contains the searchable archive of the NIH Guide.
- NIH Grant Application Deadlines
A handy list of NIH grant application deadlines for all major grant mechanisms as well as a summary of the NIH application receipt policy.
- Grant Application Basics
Basic information on the NIH grant application process, including links for NIH grantee information, and tips for planning and writing your grant application.
- NIH Grant Application Kits
OSP has customized electronic templates for the PHS-398 grant application forms and the PHS-2590 continuation forms.
- NIH Grant Application Forms
The NIH website has the PHS-398, PHS-2590, PHS-416-1 and other forms available for downloading as "fillable" .PDF files. The PHS-398 and PHS-2590 forms are interactive templates and may be used with the full version of the Adobe Writer software. An .RTF version of the form templates also is available and may be used with many word processors, such as MS Word.
- NIH Modular Grants Page
This page on the NIH Web site includes a variety of resources, including the tips sheets, Modular Grant Features at a Glance, and Frequently Asked Questions. Also included are samples of the budget, checklist, and biosketch pages.
NIH Contact Information
- NIH Personnel Directory
The NIH Personnel Directory offers email and address information for NIH staff members.
- NIH Institutes
Links to all of the individual institutes that comprise NIH. Most institute websites have program guidelines and the names of current program officers.
NIH Award Data
- NIH Awards database
The NIH Reporter has information on all research grants NIH has awarded. The Community of Science (COS) also offers an easy-to-use searchable interface with the NIH Awards database.
- NIH Extramural Awards Ranking Tables
NIH publishes statistical tables ranking award recipients by dollar amounts. Ranking tables include categories such as: medical schools; departments; all organizations; state; etc.
NSF Funding Information
- NSF Guide to Programs
The NSF Guide to Programs is a compilation of funding opportunities for research and education in science, mathematics, and engineering.
- Program Announcements and Information
This page lists NSF program announcements and notices chronologically, starting with the most recently published. It includes the issuing directorate, the date added, the NSF document number, and links to the full text of each listing.
- Documents Online
To find an electronic version of a National Science Foundation document, use the NSF Documents Online service to search by document type, document reference number, document text, or by date range.
- NSF Update
The NSF Update is an alert service available to anyone wishing to know about new content added to the NSF website in content areas of their choosing. If you are not currently a subscriber, you may subscribe at this site.
- Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide
This Guide contains information for both grant proposal preparation and grant award policies.
- A Guide for Proposal Writing
Although an archived NSF document, this document contains a compilation of advice for proposers, including a focus on what makes a good proposal and how to approach the proposal writing process. Information was gathered from a variety of sources, including NSF Program Directors, panel reviewers, and successful grantees.
FastLane is NSF's administrative system that allows researchers to submit grant proposals electronically. It also allows researchers to use the Web for a variety of other grant-related functions including: proposal status inquiry; submission of final project reports; submission of peer review comments; and award queries. FastLane users must have a Fastlane account in order to access all the features of the FastLane Web site. This account may be btained from OSP. Please contact your OSP department representative for assistance.
- FastLane Demonstration site
Demonstration site which simulates most of the FastLane features.
NSF Contact Information
- Directory & Staff
NSF employee directory and staff listings.
NSF Award Data
- Awards Database
Information about research projects that NSF has funded since 1989 can be found by searching the Awards Database. The information includes abstracts that describe the research, and names of principal investigators and their institutions. The database includes both completed and in-process research.
- Budget Internet Information System
The Budget Internet Information System provides summaries of award amounts by state, awardee institution, and NSF Directorate.
- Air Force
- Army Research
- Centers for Disease Control
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Defense
- Department of Education
- Department of Energy
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Environmental Protection Agency
- National Aeronautics & Space Administration
- Endowment for the Humanities
- National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
- Office of Naval Research
Other Non-Federal Opportunity Websites
- American Cancer Society
- American Diabetes Association
- American Federation for Aging Research
- American Heart Association - National
- American Heart Association - New England Affiliate
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Association
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- Cancer Research Institute
- CaP Cure
- Commonwealth Fund
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell Cancer Research Fund
- Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation
- The Foundation Fighting Blindness
- Helen Hay Whitney Foundation
- Hereditary Disease Foundation
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Human Frontier Science Program
- International AIDS Vaccine Initiative
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- The Medical Foundation (Charles A. King Trust)
- National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression
- Oak Foundation
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- World Health Organization
Other Non-Federal Fellowships
- Arthritis Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Cancer Research Institute Fellowships
- Cooley's Anemia Foundation
- Damon Runyon Cancer Research Fund
- EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Helen Hay Whitney Foundation Research Fellowships
- Human Frontier Science Program Fellowships
- Immune Deficiency Foundation Novartis Fellowship
- Irvington Institute for Medical Research Fellowships
- Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund for Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Juvenile Diabetes Foundation International
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Life Sciences Research Foundation Fellowship
- Lupus Foundation of America Fellowship
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society Postdoctoral Fellowships
- NATO Science and Engineering Fellowships