Frequently Asked Questions
- I logged into PeopleSoft but can't find EPEX...
- I need to approve a proposal and can't find it...
- Ad Hoc: I approved the proposal and need to ad hoc the next reviewer/approver, but now I can't...
- What do I do if my sponsor is not in the list of available sponsors?
- What do I do if my PI is not in the list of available PIs?
- I can't find the PI/Sponsor/Key Word I'm looking for...
- I don't know what my SmartKey is...?
- Is there a way to tell where a proposal is in the workflow?
- I entered a proposal in EPEX and I'm the approver but I don't show up...
- Which Roles trigger workflow?
- I included comments but cannot find them...
- I¿m set up as a Reviewer in workflow and I can¿t seem to be able to edit the proposal.
- I created a folder to funnel my PeopleSoft email messages into, but nothing is there.
- Once a proposal has entered workflow, as an approver, how do I attach documents?
- I need my proposal to be reviewed by Yerkes/OCR/VA. How do I route to them?
- Someone needs to added/removed to/from workflow as an approver/reviewer/ad hoc.
- You failed to answer YES to the OCR, Yerkes or VA question before Saving and Routing. How can this be fixed?
- When is it necessary to submit the PI eligibility form?
- I submitted my access form and never got my access code/username/password?
- I am a new employee/new to Grants and need access to the system. What do I do?
- My PI wants to give me her/his Net ID and Password to approve the proposal on her/his behalf. Is this OK?
- What is a Proxy? How do I establish one?
- Should I add a project to split PI Credit?
- How do I know how many projects I should have?
- Is there a limit on number of attachments? File type restrictions?
- My attachments won't save...
- Who should be listed as the PI on Fellowships?
- I can¿t access the DL course on my MAC.
- Do I need to print out the EPEX pages and bring them over?
- What type of budget is required?
- How do I know which fields are required and which fields are not?
- How do I change the PI after I've saved the proposal?
- I put in my begin/end dates, hit the Build Periods button, and now realize that they are wrong and they are greyed out. How do I change the dates?
- Clinical Trials do not usually have a deadline date. What date should be entered in the deadline date field?
- I log into PeopleSoft and my screen "blinks" and I can't see anything...
- I want to download into EXCEL but it isn't working...
- My attachment won't open.
- The activity you selected opens in a new window. You complete the activity, but your work isn't reflected/isn't showing up.
- Nothing is showing up in my Print Report...
- The sponsor does not allow F&A and the F&A Rate won't zero out.
- Please choose 00003839 Sponsor Not in Lookup and include the link to the sponsor website, or information on the sponsor, in the RFP comment box. The sponsor will be added once the record arrives in OSP.
- For urgent requests, please email email@example.com with the following information included: Name of Sponsor (full name, no acronyms), Complete Address, Phone Number, and sponsor website.
If the PI is a new employee and does not have an EMPLID, contact your HR Rep as she/he needs a WOC appointment. If the HR Rep is unable to resolve the issue, contact Susan Newborn in Data Services at x77563 or Sherri Stodgill in HR at x76066.
If the PI just needs to be made PI eligible in the system, complete the PI Eligibility form on the EPEX web page. See also Access Section.
- If you're searching for a PI, try using one of the Name fields.
- If you're searching for a Sponsor, the Name field will give you the "common" name, ie. NIH for National Institutes of Health
- If you're searching for a Key word, we recommend using the Description field. If you plan on searching using the Key Word field, please be aware of the following prefixes and include them with your search terms:
- AG = Agriculture and Food Science
- AH = Art and Humanities
- AS = Area Studies
- BU = Business Management and Commerce
- ED = Education
- EN = Engineering
- ES = Energy Physical Sciences
- HM = Health and Medicine
- LW = Law
- PS = Natural and Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Technology
- SS = Social Sciences
- HS-A = Health Science Themes
- HS-B = Health Science Centers
- If the data was converted from FAS, you can use the converter located at
Emory Custom>Legacy COA Mapping
- If it is new, you can find your SmartKey either on your NOA or by navigating to
Grants>Awards>Project Budgets which will give you the SmartKey per project #
You failed to answer YES to the OCR, Yerkes or VA question before Saving and Routing. How can this be fixed?
The PI eligibility form should be submitted for all NEW faculty hires who are NOT transferring grants into Emory but will be submitting grants/contracts, all STUDENTS and Postdocs who will be PIs on Fellowships, and for all STAFF who will be in an investigator-type role on a grant or contract.
The form is located on the main EPEX page of the OSP website.
My PI wants to give me her/his Net ID and Password to approve the proposal on her/his behalf. Is this OK?
A proxy is someone authorized to act on another person's behalf. If you are going to be away (vacation, etc), you can set a proxy to approve workflow in your absence.
- Navigation: Smart Solutions>Smart Workflow>Setup>Proxy User. Fill out the following information: Proxy User ID (required), Effective Dates (To and From)
- Note: This person will receive emails about actions on your account(s) for the time period you specify.
**Proxies should never be done for the GM Certification stage